Saturday, January 2, 2010

Goal Setting In 2010

Was over at Rachel Hauck's blog today, where she was discussing her goals for 2010, which got me thinking about my own.

I really hate New Year's resolutions. Most of us need more than a new date on the calendar to inspire us to make real change in our lives. For more years than I care to count, I have resolved to lose weight and quit smoking. As if, suddenly, on January 1st I would be able to un-addict myself from smokes and roll back years of unhealthy eating habits. Please. So instead of saying that as of January 1, I'm going to stop doing such-and-such or suddenly START doing such-and-such, I'm going to take a different approach. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

Instead of viewing the new year as a starting and ending point for good and bad habits, I'm going to look at the entire year as a whole and set goals that I can work on for 365 days and beyond.

Numero uno for me this year is making connections. Hubby and I became members of the church we had been attending for a year back in September. We were officially announced to the congregation as such in December. (Picture a professional wrestler's entrance with pyrotechnics and everything. OK, just kidding.) I still have a bit of church anxiety that I deal with when it comes to "other church ladies." I struggle with feeling like everybody has it together but me, and I have to work really hard at not keeping myself at arms-length from others. But recent events in my life have shown me that God put these people in my life to be my family, and after a year of much loss, I need family now more than ever.

I guess you could say I want to stop making church a spectator sport. I don't just want to go on Sunday and then go home; I want to build a family and create a home.

Another biggie on my To-Do List is shutting up and letting God do His thing.
When things do not go at the speed I'd like them to, I throw myself into the ring and push as hard as I can, when I KNOW there are times God just wants me to hang back. As it applies to my writing, God has repeatedly told me, "Just write what I tell you to write about and do what I tell you to do and you'll be fine" but I wasn't seeing the progress I wanted, so I took matters into my own hands, only to watch it all backfire.

This is the year I learn how to shush.

Yes, I want to stay off the smokes and eat more lettuce this year, and that's important, but those things will be made easier if I work on the two biggies I mentioned above. I want to focus more on heart issues, because none of the "palpable" issues are going to be resolved until the heart ones are.

What are you doing this year? Pin It

0 comments:

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs