Monday, January 2, 2012

The Badger Family & the Unthinkable

If you don't know who Madonna Badger is, or what happened at her home on Christmas morning, you must be living under a dusty rock somewhere, but to recap: her Stamford house burned down, killing her parents and her three young daughters.

Why am I blogging about this? Because I haven't been able to get it out of my mind for a solid week. This has haunted me unlike any other news story I can recall. I've read a lot about devastating fires recently. First a house in the next town over burned down a few weeks before Christmas, killing a 24-year-old woman and her parents. Her teenage sister had to jump from the second floor to safety. Over in Australia, a beloved celebrity chef named Matt Golinski lost his wife and 3 daughters on Boxing Day and suffered third-degree burns to over forty percent of his body trying to save them. 

I actually found myself getting sort of angry the other day thinking about it. I don't know who or what I was angry at, I just felt... angry. I've been through some very painful things in my life, but isn't this THE absolute nightmare of everyone, everywhere? This really dwarfs all other fears and tragedies in my mind. It's senseless. The Stamford fire, in particular, was senseless - the blaze is blamed on a bag of smoldering fireplace ashes placed at the back of the house by Badger's boyfriend.

I don't know if there's something that presents a major challenge to your faith, but logic presents a major challenge to mine and always has. A loving God who allows people to lose, literally, their entire families in one swoop. Stupid freakin' logic - it's kicking me in the butt this time! I've devoted a lot of hours to mulling this one over. I've tried to envision what these people must be going through, and how they will - I hope - eventually put one foot in front of the other and simply breathe. I have thought numerous times that I would regret not dying myself. I don't even have children of my own.

I can sit here and tell you about the peace I had when my husband almost died this summer, or the way God has been healing me from a crappy childhood, and I can give you a list of things God has done for me through rough circumstances, and there is barely a comparison. Like trying to blow bubbles into a stiff wind. Right back in your face.

It leaves me feeling naked and terrified. And all I can really do when I feel that way - here's the irony - is pray. Pray because being afraid doesn't get me anywhere, and it doesn't get the Badgers or the Golinskis or the Risslers anywhere, either. I pray because it makes no sense to me and I still hang onto that little mustard seed of faith that tells me GOD understands it, and the only thing that can help these people breath and walk and carry on is HIM.

It makes me stare directly into the face of what a relationship with Jesus is supposed to be about in the first place: making Him my everything. Everything else can disappear in an instant, but God cannot be lost. Real relationship with God means you can never lose everything.

But I'm guessing none of those people are feeling it right now, and that's the emptiness that scares me. It scares me, but it brings me to my knees.

It's a messy grace that keeps us afloat, isn't it?
Pin It

3 comments:

Sally said...

It's the ones left living I feel the most for--the regrets, the could-haves, should haves.

Kat Gordon said...

Yes, it was an unthinkable tragedy. Yet the home had no working smoke detectors. This is what has haunted me all week -- that a contractor would advise/allow his friends/clients to sleep in a home that hadn't passed occupancy clearance and didn't even have a $10 smoke detector in it. To then light a fire in a home like that was foolish. I am not looking to blame -- just to remind all of us to be careful where we can because, as you have shown, life can present us with grief and surprises out of our control.

Rachel said...

I really like this. Fantastic metaphor about blowing bubbles into stiff wind. I too can't get this out of my head. It's so disturbing, in every possible way. Losing all three kids and both parents over something so easily preventable. It's truly unthinkable. Had it been a car accident or something totally out of your control that would be bad horrendous and tragic. But HOW can one ever EVER deal with losing your family in a way that was so under your control? (fire alarms/ or opting for no fire in the fireplace that night if none were installed). Who knows if things could have turned out differently if they'd had alarms. But certainly putting the coals in a bag and leaving them inside was a terrible mistake, more than just unlucky. I admire your faith. I don't have it. But that's a brilliant line, "It's a messy grace that keeps us afloat, isn't it?"

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs