Saturday, August 7, 2010

Yours Truly

Back in 2002, my brother turned me on to blogging. I had never published anything in my life, but I wanted to be a writer, and the idea of instant gratification was very appealing to me.

My first blog was Fidler on the Roof. It became very popular during the 2004 election because I was extremely conservative at the time and blogged for a number of political blogs that drew readers. I also wrote about my painful background and my faith in Christ, and in that same year, I was offered a book contract with Relevant Books, thanks, in part, to my blog.

And, let's be honest. I'm very charming.

My book, Adventures in Holy Matrimony: For the Better or the Absolute Worst, came out in June 2005.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about nine years ago, at the age of 23. I had lost just about everything - I couldn't hold down a job, I was practically a hermit, and my young marriage was falling apart. Sometimes I spent weeks in bed, suicidally depressed; other times, I spent a week or two without any sleep whatsoever - manic and angry. It took about six years to find a combination of medication that truly helped me. I'm happy to say that I rarely have symptoms anymore, and when I do, they are far less frequent and severe. God, my husband, and I saved my marriage (my book is about the first 4 years of our wedded bliss nightmare) and I am a functioning, happy human being.


These days, I'm a freelance writer, wife, and "cat mom." I collect coffee cups and drink too much coffee. I waste time playing Tetris and watching stupid comedies on TV. I decided to abandon reason my day job two-and-a-half years ago to write full-time from home, but quickly discovered that home is the world's most distracting place to work. For about three months out of the year, I try to convince myself and the rest of the world that I am athletic and physically fit. I love nature in small doses. My favorite food is anything I don't have to cook.

This blog is about all of that, plus some other stuff. I want Christians to understand mental illness. In my experience, many of them don't. I hope this blog will be a teaching tool and a support for those that suffer, and those that love them.

But this is also where I write about the crazy things that happen to me. Everyone says that crazy things happen to them, but trust me... crazy things happen to *me*. Read on. See for yourself. Have a laugh at my expense.

Blog on, my friends.
Pin It

0 comments:

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs