Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mornings: What Are They Good For?

I got up this morning around 7 to make my husband breakfast and pack him a lunch. I'm nice like that. I woke up in pain, as usual. My arms, legs, and neck ache constantly. It has become a normal thing. You just want to spend the day on the couch when you feel like crap, but I forced myself to get up and go to the rec center. I had a good swim, though it was somewhat leisurely. It helped the pain quite a bit, I'm happy to say.

Getting there was a challenge.
The neighbor's Golden Retriever - the one that never shuts up - got loose and I saw him run across the street in my rear view mirror as I was making a right-hand turn. I love animals, especially when they are not splattered across the side of the road, so I parked my car at the post office and got out. He was on another neighbor's porch so I called to him and he ran over to me. He's a friendly little guy... typically. Not so much, though, when you have him by the collar and are trying to lead him home. For about 5 minutes, this is how it went: I would grab his collar, he would snarl and snap and try to jump at me. Then, I'd let go and pet him and talk sweetly to him and he'd be friendly again. Then I'd grab his collar and he'd try to rip my throat out again. The little kids who live with the dog were standing in the driveway watching all of this happen. At no point did the munchkins go and get mommy.

So I gave up. I love dogs, but I have no desire to be mauled by one. Fortunately, another neighbor came out - a much bigger, stronger male - and he dragged Pup back to his home, snarling all the way. When I got in the car, I realized my shirt was covered in mud from the dog jumping at me. Rather than go home and risk sudden laziness, I decided to go to the gym looking like I had been dragged around a construction site by a dump truck.

When I got to the gym, none of the treadmills with built-in TVs were available. I didn't want to watch one of the universal TVs mounted to the wall because my choices were limited to ESPN, some financial channel, and cartoons. If I'm going to sweat it out on the treadmill, I'm gonna do it watching a sitcom or, at the very least, "Intervention." I gave up and went to the pool.

The pool was infiltrated by every elderly person in Central Pennsylvania. That's cool - it's refreshing to see old people taking good care of themselves, but I had to sit in the stands and wait for a lane to open up. Finally one did, and I had a nice, relaxing swim as Josh Groban crooned from the pool speakers.

I have gotten used to locker room nakedness. I used to be incredibly shy, but now I don't care. I've seen a little bit of everything in that locker room and it made me realize I have nothing to be ashamed of. It is still very disconcerting to see women in their late 50's or early 60's who have better bodies than I do, but I'm getting over it. I think my new boobs help sweeten the pot for me. Now I'm just an overweight person trying to lose weight - I'm no longer the really tall lady with the frightening/appalling breasts that scare little children.

Once I reached the locker room, the music selection changed. First, it was Eminem. Then, it was "I Wanna Sex You Up." I don't personally care, but I'm wondering how a family-friendly rec center could get away with playing sex music. There was a little girl and her mother in there changing. I think moms just want to take their kids to the pool to keep them entertained and to drain some of their excess energy. I doubt they want to have to answer awkward questions and explain the facts of life.

CHILD: "Mommy, what does 'sex you up' mean?"
MOTHER: "Oh, Suzy. That just means they want to borrow your kick board."

So now I am home and the runaway dog is barking his head off, and the neighbor baby is screaming. She screams about as much as the dog barks.

I did a lot this morning, and I'm happy about that. It makes me feel productive.
But it blows my mind just how many weird things can happen to you in a few short hours. Pin It

0 comments:

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs