Monday, April 11, 2011

Huh. That was Weird.

If I could describe my day in five words or less, I would say: "Huh. That was weird."

First, I am convinced I am being stalked by local animals. There has to be an APB out describing the make, model, and year of my car, not to mention my physical appearance and the "most-likely" locations where I will be driving on any given day. Sometimes they win, sometimes I win. Not too long ago, I hit and killed a chicken with my car. Why did it cross the road? To hear me scream as I swerved to miss it... which I did not. I neither screamed nor missed it. I picture a coop full of laughing chickens chiding that one brave frat boy chicken on. "DO IT! RUN! FASTER!" Then I imagine their horror as I turned their friend into a tasty Chik-Fil-A meal. As Charlie Sheen would say: "WINNING!"

Today I was accosted by a pheasant. I was driving down a familiar country road where I had never had an animal cross my path before when I came up around a curve and there it was. The pheasant won today. He might be missing a few tail feathers, but he survived. He bobbed up a hill, all arrogant-like, and I shook my fist and challenged him to round two. We'll see if he shows. Can you eat pheasant? If not, what do you do with a dead pheasant? I need to know for when I win.

I went to a church meeting this morning to discuss the expansion of our women's ministries. I commented that women like me are in a strange position at church - we're in our thirties, we're married, but we don't have children. That was when I realized that if you don't have kids, other women (particularly Christian women) automatically assume that you are heartbroken about it. When I told them I was childless, they reacted the same way someone might react if their friend just announced they had a woeful disease. There was much sympathy for me, as one woman told me to hang in there because it took her and her husband three years to conceive. There were stories of miscarriages and sadness and I just didn't know how to tell everyone that...

I'm actually pretty OK with not having children.

I've blogged about this before, so I will only briefly rehash. We can't have kids. It used to bother us immensely but not we're used to it. We might adopt someday but not right now. And I've decided my life is pretty full despite not being a mom. But only a few people get that. We're women. We're supposed to have babies. I guess I'm weird for not being broken up about not being able to.

The other assumption that moms make, I found out, is that if you don't have kids, you must have all the time in the world and nothing truly meaningful to do.

And this week, that's totally true of my life, but still... in general, it's not true at all.

So I came home and sorted all of that out in my mind. I wasn't angry about it. It's not like anyone was trying to be rude. It was just... interesting. Interesting to see how women in the church perceive each other. Interesting to know that I am both sympathized with, and yet seen as someone who should take on some of the 'harder' ministry because I have lots of unused time to throw around.

When I got home, I turned on my A/C. It was in the mid-80s today and my apartment was roasting. I had this spongy, foamy liner on top of my A/C to keep the bugs out and when I went to adjust it, it disintegrated into dust. So I grabbed a towel and stuffed it between the windows... which looked really terrible, so I tried to remove it. It was too far down to grab it, so I tried to fish it out with my TV remote... which I promptly lost between the windows. In a last-ditch effort, I grabbed my husband's barbecue tongs and fished the remote AND the towel out with that.

See? I told you my life was full.
If I had kids, there wouldn't be time for do-it-yourself home repairs like that, now would there? Pin It

1 comments:

Mining for Diamonds said...

It doesn't get much better after you have kids. When you have ONE child, you constantly get asked "are you going to have anymore?" And then if you have 3 or more, it's "don't you know how that happens?"

I think it's great that you are confident in your choices. One thing I'm learning is people are always going to have something to say, and there is no need to defend our actions to anyone.

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs