Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Cat: She's Cute But She Ain't Real Bright



Before I jump into this post, let me say this: I love my cat.

She showed up on my doorstep as a kitten 3 years ago and she has been a gift from God. To hear me describe her, you wouldn't think that's the case. She's not terribly affectionate and she doesn't like strangers. She hisses at little children. If I dropped dead in the middle of my living room, she'd nap on my body, then eat it.

But, man, I love my cat.

My only complaint is that she doesn't eat right. If you could watch her eat for five minutes, you'd think she isn't very bright. Heck, maybe she's not.

My cat is incapable of keeping food in her mouth. She cannot eat anything without flinging it all over the place. I am constantly having to sweep my kitchen floor because there are food nuggets everywhere. She loves her crunchy tuna treats, but those, too, get flung every which way and she refuses to eat anything that touches the ground. When I give her real tuna, I regret it later. I spend hours picking up little fish flakes.

The other day I picked up a couple of small cans of wet tuna food for her. It's basically horrible smelling tuna covered in cat-friendly gravy. When she heard me open the can, she came running. When I put it in her bowl, she immediately began licking it.

And licking it.

And licking it.

There is now a bowl full of bone-try tuna cat food in her bowl. She has not touched the tuna itself. No clean-up for me, but I could have used that fifty-seven cents on something for myself... a gumball, maybe. No, wait. I'm diabetic. I guess it wasn't a waste after all.

A lot of people like to treat their cat to a giant slab of lunch meat, or leftover dinner meat. We stopped doing this after Thanksgiving turkey bits showed up on the bathroom rug.

I don't even want to know.






Pin It

1 comments:

Gamortie said...

I feel your pain, Julie - we have a rescue cat named Toshiko, who, for ages, would lick the gravy of the wet cat food we bought, and wouldn't touch real meat.....she seems to have mellowed recently, but is now showing signs of schizophrenia - watching & tracking things that aren't there, sudden startled leaps from no apparent stimulus...but we still love her; she's a complete attention whore, who drools once she's been petted for a while, but keeps coming back.

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs