Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lancaster, Pennsylvania Residents Reeling from Earthquake

Major quake sends local residents into hysteria.


Hey, let's talk about that big earthquake that hit DC today. Might as well, right? That's all anybody is talking about.

We felt it here in little old Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I was sitting on my couch working on my laptop when there was a big bang. I thought the neighbors downstairs slammed the door... but then everything kept moving. Some pictures fell off the TV. The fan in the dining room swayed. There was a brief moment when I thought "oh crap" and thought perhaps I should head for cover... but then I noticed the TV was rocking back and forth.

My choices were painful. They included:
1. Go stand in the doorway
2. SAVE THE TV!!!!!!!!!!!

I chose #2. If the building is still standing but there's no entertainment, what good is that? Just as I got up to rescue my appliance, the movement stopped.

The earthquake was big news here, of course, and local residents are slowly picking up the pieces and recovering from the mass devastation. These local tales of destruction, found at WGAL's website, will just smash your heart to pieces. Read on, if you are brave.

Raymond Miller, of Carlisle, said his house shook.

A Columbia, Lancaster County, woman said the tremor was quite severe, knocking over a cat water dish. She had time to leave her house from the second story before the tremor ended.
 
Kelly Clark from the Colonial Lodge in Denver, Lancaster County, said chandelier crystals were still shaking two minutes after the quake.
 
Linda Hess of Holtwood, Lancaster County, said she didn't actually feel the earthquake. She heard banging and rattling and saw the cabinet doors in her kitchen shaking.

Michael Myers, of Palmyra, said he was in his basement working and all of the sudden everything started shaking.

A Red Lion woman said her floors shook hard for about a minute.
 
A woman who lives in southern York County said the house shook and windows rattled. 
Leanne Ferree, of York Township, could see her windows rattling.

I have my own tale of sorrow.
I was unable to send text messages for about 15 minutes.

God help us all.

And thank God for WGAL for covering this calamity with dignity and gut-wrenching narration as always. They might not be able to forecast a snowfall, but they certainly do know how to draw out the raw emotions of such a horrible natural disaster.
Pin It

0 comments:

Pin It
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs